The online databases and indexes listed below will provide references to articles (or in some cases full-text articles) in a wide range of periodicals, from news magazines and newspapers to scholarly and professional journals. If you have questions about choosing or using a database or index, please consult a librarian.
- Academic Search Premier - EBSCOhost
The worlds largest academic multi-disciplinary database. Full text articles for nearly 4,650 publications, including more than 3,600 peer-reviewed journals. PDF backfiles to 1975 or further are available for well over one hundred journals, and searchable cited references are provided for more than 1,000 titles. Coverage: 1975 - current
Hint: Academic Search Premier is a good first step to begin searching for articles and book reviews, and you should start there. Remember, articles that can't be printed as full-text or image may be available elsewhere in the Library. Check Journals Search for library holdings.
- Academic (LexisNexis) - LexisNexis
Full-text articles and documents from over 5,900 news, business, legal, medical, and reference publications. News sources include newspapers, wire services, and more. Legal sources include U.S. Federal and state case law, codes, regulations, legal news, law reviews, international, and Shepards Citations for all U.S. Supreme Court cases back to 1789. Coverage: varies
- MasterFILE Premier - EBSCOhost
Designed specifically for public libraries, this multidisciplinary database provides full text for more than 2,050 general reference publications, more than 350 full text reference books, 84,606 biographies, 88,463 primary source documents, and an image collection of 107,135 photos, maps and flags. (Courtesy of the WV Library Commission) Coverage: As far back as 1975.
- WorldCat - FirstSearch, WorldCat (open access)
Huge catalog of books and other materials in libraries worldwide. Contains millions of bibliographic records representing 400 languages. Coverage: Before 1000 BC to present
Indexes & Bibliographic Databases
These databases and indexes will provide citation information (author, article title, periodical name, volume & issue, date) and some full-text for articles, essays, book chapters, dissertations, and other materials, which may be found in the MU Libraries by searching the library catalog or ordered from another library using the Information Delivery Services (IDS) if the items are not owned by MU Libraries.
- America: History & Life - EBSCOhost
Over 231,000 journal articles, more than 107,000 book and media reviews, and over 41,500 dissertations on the history and culture of the United States and Canada. Coverage: Periodicals dating from 1954
- Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management - ProQuest
Abstracts and citations in the environmental sciences from thousands of scientific journals, conference proceedings, reports, monographs, books and government publications. Coverage: 1967 to present
- ERIC - EBSCOhost, ProQuest, U.S. Dept. of Education
ERIC, the Educational Resource Information Center database, contains indexing and abstracts from hundreds of education and education-related journals and from thousands of educational research and technical reports. Selected full text articles are available for thousands of ERIC digest records.
The ERIC Documents microfiche collection is now stored at the Media Desk, 2nd floor of the Drinko Library. The MUGC library no longer houses ERIC microfiche. Coverage: 1966 to present
- Social Services Abstracts - ProQuest
Abstracts and indexes to over 1,406 serials publications on social work, human services, and related areas. Includes abstracts of journal articles and dissertations, and citations to book reviews. Coverage: 1980 to current
- Sociological Abstracts - ProQuest
Provides abstracts of journal articles, books, book chapters, dissertations, and conference papers, and citations to international literature in sociology and related disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences. Coverage: 1963 to current
Does the Library Have Your Article?
Once you have a citation for your article:
- Try Journals Search
Look up the title of the journal or magazine that your article appeared in. If the periodical shows up on the list, follow the link to the article database that contains it or find the copy in the library.
- If you need a book the library doesn't own, you can request a copy through E-Z Borrow. In addition you can request articles and books through Information Delivery Services. Most articles are delivered over the web at no charge; paper copies are .10 a page.
Periodicals & Indexes
- Y 3.AP 4/2:9-2/Appalachia: Journal of the Appalachian Regional Commission (Marshall University, MU Special Collections and Government Collections)
- Appalachian Heritage: A Literary Quarterly of the Appalachian South (Marshall University, SPEC COLL/WV COLLECTION)
“Indexes to Appalachian Heritage Magazine” prepared by Berea College available at http://www.berea.edu/appalachianheritage/indexes/default.html
- PR1 .E4 Appalachian Journal (Marshall University, SPEC COLL/WV COLLECTION)
- INDEX I. Volume 7 No. 4. (Summer 1980) CONTENTS: Complete name and subject Index to Volumes 1 through 7 of the Appalachian Journal (1972-80)
- INDEX II. Volume 18 No. 4. (Summer 1991) CONTENTS: Complete subject index to volumes 8-18, 1980-1991.
- INDEX III. Volume 23 No. 4. (Summer 1996) CONTENTS: Complete subject index to volumes 19-23, 1991-1996.
- INDEX IV. Volume 28 No. 4 (Summer 2001) CONTENTS: Complete subject index to volumes 24-28, 1996-2001.
- Goldenseal (Marshall, SPEC COLL)
Goldenseal is dedicated to documenting West Virginian culture and history. While not a scholarly journal, it publishes many essential articles. Selected articles are available from their website at http://www.wvculture.org/goldenseal/. An index is available at http://www.wvculture.org/goldenseal/gsindex.html.
- Journal of Appalachian Studies “Contents by Issue”available
- Mountain Life and Work (MEDIA Desk, Microfilm v.1-64, Apr. 1925-1988)
Also accessible from E-Text Collection, Kentuckiana Digital Library. Among other essential Appalachian texts, this database has the full run of Mountain Life and Work, searchable by article and available via PDF.
- Now and Then Magazine: The Appalachian Magazine (Marshall University, Special Collections)
Also accessible from https://www.etsu.edu/cas/cass/nowandthen/.
- West Virginia History (A key journal with many articles available on-line)
Accessible from http://www.wvculture.org/history/journal_wvh/journal_toc.html.
West Virginia Periodical Index 1980-1993 Critical source for WV publications such as Goldenseal, West Virginia history, Wonderful West Virginia.
(MU Special Collections, Reading Room)