Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Time Management for Students
Don’t Over Commit
- College adds new freedoms and activities
- Clubs, Greeks and other organization push membership at the beginning of the semester.
- Don’t join everything all at once.
- Wait and see what courses require before committing to organizations
Make To-Do Lists
- Make a list of priorities
- Consult syllabus regularly
- Put all dates on a calendar
- Be reasonable – Don’t take on too much, it just leads to frustration
- Leave room for the unexpected
- Don’t wait until the last minute to do assignments!!!!
- Check the list periodically
- Check off completed tasks (it is fun)
Use Pockets of Time to Your Advantage
- Always keep assignment materials with you.
- If you have an hour, 30, or 40 minutes between classes, find a quiet place to work.
- GO TO CLASS!!!!!
- Set aside time to nap, play a game, spend time with friends
- Look at weekly schedule and set aside “Me” time
- Pamper Yourself! (yes even guys)
- Take a walk when you are feeling stressed (one lap around campus is a mile)
- Mom Moment: make your bed, clean your room! A clean work space is calming
- Don’t use the grab and go method for your wardrobe….organization is key
- Morning sets the tone for the day, the more you have ready the night before, the smoother your day will go..
- See more info under the Anxiety tab
Stick To It
- Don’t make each day jammed full of tasks, appointments, work and class
- Give yourself breathing room for the unexpected
- Stick to the schedule you create for the week. Don’t be tempted to go out with friends except during the blocks set aside for downtime.
Simple Time Trackers
- A simple to-do list on a whiteboard
- A white board calendar on the wall (color code class/due-dates/exams/personal)
- See the Planners tab for more information on planners